Matthias Brandes is born in Bochum (Nordrhein-Westfalen), Germany.
- From 1969 to1976 he studied painting, art history and pedagogy at the Academy and University of Hamburg.
- In 1976 he graduated in Art Pedagogy.
- Since 1979, after qualifying as a high school teacher, he has devoted himself exclusively to painting, living in Hamburg and part of the year near Meolo (Venice).
- 1985 First solo exhibition Italian Cultural Institute Hamburg.
Participation in the 11th Baltic Biennial in Rostock.
Works in public and private collections (Deutsche Telekom, Britisch Petroleum, UniCredit Bank e.a.).
Wall paintings in Velbert (Nordrhein-Westfalen) and Wangerland (Niedersachsen).
- 1988 Künstlerhaus / Wangerland fellowship and solo exhibition.
- 1989 -1992 Professor of Drawing at the University of Applied Sciences in Hamburg.
Numerous solo and group exhibitions in Germany.
- 1993 He moved with his family to Italy in Meolo (Venice).
- 1993 -1999 He works as a graphic designer mainly for wineries.
- Since 1999 intense exhibition activity in Italy. Presence in the main art fairs. Numerous personal and collective exhibitions in galleries in Italy, Germany, Hungary, Austria, Belgium, USA, R.P China.
- 2001 Acquisition of a work from the Pinacoteca provinciale of Bari.
- 2010 Acquisition of a work from the Museum of Modern Art / Maccagno.
- 2012 Participation in the Creative Cities Collection, Barbican Center/London organised by Olympic
Participation in the 1st Ecorea Jellobuk Biennale/Sori Art Center/Jeonju/South Korea
2013 Exhibition "Brandes & Brandes - convergences" together with Juliane Brandes, goldsmith artist, at Palazzo Albrizzi, Venice
2014 Exhibition "Augenblicke" Burg Kniphausen/Wilhelmshaven Germany
2015 Solo exhibition at Canton Artfair/ Guangzhou R.P. China
2017 Solo exhibition at the Kunstforum Wien
2018 Solo exhibition at the MAGI'900 Museum Pieve di Cento /Bologna
Acquisition of a work from the Museum MAGI'900 Pieve di Cento /Bologna
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)